Manchester Center BEFORE it was a Mall

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
christone

Re: Manchester Center BEFORE it was a Mall

Post by christone » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:50 am

I remember Long's Drugs "Where All Fresno Saves!" as the center's South anchor store. Perhaps it later became a Thriftys. It was still Longs when I moved to Hollywood in September 1969.

Perrynoia

Post by Perrynoia » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:52 am

There was a Mode O' Day and a Party Tips by Perry's Boys.....Across the lot was where they relocated Long's. Where CalTrans is was Roos Atkins and later Liberty House. That was in thr early 70's.

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:32 pm

Behold! The internet's latest image of old Manchester Center, circa 1955, in all its Mid-Century modern glory!
Attachments
manchester-center.jpg

Sharlsie

Post by Sharlsie » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:12 pm

That's so funny because MY mom worked at that Lerners too! But I think it was around the time I was in the third grade, so that would have been 1965 or so. And on Friday nights, the only night they were open till 9, my dad would take us there at her dinner break and we would go to Perry Boys and eat. Yum!

Bev Larios

Post by Bev Larios » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:37 pm

I did a commercial with Angelo when this was still a store front. Must have been in the early 60's? Then later after it became a Mall I worked on Dakota and always visited Sears for their wonderful popcorn. There was also a sandwich place close to the market that Candie and her mom ran. Delicious food.

MikeS1957

Post by MikeS1957 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:20 am

Yes Manchester was THE place to go, Sear's had everything you could want. A neighbor lady worked downstairs in the bookkeeping dept. Tools, guns, popcorn, appliances even clothes. Pep Boy's for auto parts and Okie Frijole for food.

mnwoods

Post by mnwoods » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:22 pm

I remember going to Annie Laurie's after school (Ft. Miller) and buying their Carmel Corn. They also served candies. There were located near the radio station along the walk way. I also remember Rhodes department store. I thought they were the classiest place in the center. I would always buy my mom her Christmas gift there. I have fond memories of the policeman who would direct Christmas traffic with all of his fancy moves. Great memories!

Paul T.

Post by Paul T. » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:43 pm

I remember Manchester well. Mayfair Market was at the center of it in the beginning. It had a fountain that my mom and I drank chocolate sodas at. I remember getting lost in Rhodes (more than once) when I was very young. There was Party Tips next to Perry Brothers (I think). Once I found a box of silver gift ribbon in the parking lot. My family used that ribbon for years. There was a GREAT candy store there, very old fasioned etc. They held the Fresno World's Fair (who remembers those?) in the parking lot once.

I saw a lot of great movies at the Manchester Cinema (The Worlds Greatest Athelete anyone?). But that was at the NEW part of the mall, north of Sears. That addition also had a Safeway where, when I was in Jr. High (Go Pioneers) I used to get a donut every afternoon with money that I was suppose to use for lunch. I remember line for the God Father snaking all the way down the center's hall.

Myra

Post by Myra » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:35 am

What was Manchester Center before it was a shopping center? I hear the beautiful Manchester Mansion

Brett G

Post by Brett G » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:33 am

That seemed so big back then. I would go down to Sears to play "Pong". That was the only game around I could get too. That was the go to place for Santa of course at Sears too.

Brett