The old Fresno Falcons

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
Timmy dean

Re: The old Fresno Falcons

Post by Timmy dean » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:51 pm

Best times ever! I played league hockey at Icelandia with the Falcons players on our teams. Esko Sipula was a great influence on me and helped me be a much better player. He was so humble and had no ego at all he taught me a lot about hockey and a lot about giving back to others. Best times of my life.

Timmy dean

Post by Timmy dean » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:56 pm

Loved the Falcons and played with a lot of the guys, best times in my life

Freddy Falcon

Post by Freddy Falcon » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:11 am

BRING EM BACK

Does anyone know what it would take to buy the old Fresno Falcons trademark?

I would love to get involved to bring back a Fresno Hockey icon.

Big J

Post by Big J » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:54 pm

Freddy, I've thought of doing the same, if for no other reason than to make/sell some t-shirts with the vintage logo. I don't know the status...Either the Cummings group still owns it, or it went away in the bankruptcy. According to this, maybe the ECHL owns the name...but I'm not sure given the "partial cancellation" status. And this relates to the later logo...not the green and gold everyone fondly remembers.

https://trademarks.justia.com/765/25/fr ... 25344.html
Attachments
Fresno Falcons.gif
Fresno Falcons.gif (2.06 KiB) Viewed 17005 times

Big J

Post by Big J » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:57 pm

Incidentally, if anyone's ever itching to see a few bits and pieces from the old days, I've been researching Falcons history for a few years now, compiling season records, collecting memorabilia (if you have anything - contact me!!) etc. Feel free to message me or visit me over on Facebook at the Central California Sports Archive: https://www.facebook.com/cencalsports

Freddy Falcon

Post by Freddy Falcon » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Would there still be a trade mark on the green and gold Falcons logo? The team name never changed, so I imagine the rights to use the city/team name would still be property of the ECHL. Your facebook page is great, if I come across any old Falcons stuff of my own I'll try to pass it along some how. I came across this youtube video months ago and thought I would share the link after seeing your page

This user has posted a few other videos of the Green & Gold glory days from Selland Arena, enjoy.

Big J

Post by Big J » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:49 pm

Yes! Thanks for posting that...the poster is actually former Falcons player and coach Darryl Lauer. I tried to contact him some time back via message there on Youtube. Got no response. So many of those guys are still around town...I'd love to do some kind of crowdfunded Fresno Hockey History documentary film someday...get a bunch of them to sit down for interviews, etc. I have some old game footage (full game tapes of the clips shown in the video you posted)...it'd be fantastic.

There's truly a great story to be told...someday. Thanks for dropping by on Facebook too. As for the old logo and trademark info...I'd wager that logo was never trademarked. None of their printed materials ever had the TM or R symbol. The operation was small enough, and the logo unchanged since '69 or so...I just doubt it. You could probably legally trademark it now for use on apparel, etc., not hockey, and be ok. I'd like to track down the original logo designer though. It's such a great, classic look.

RoughRider1961

Post by RoughRider1961 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:47 am

I remember seeing a professional ice hockey team playing in a building on the corner of Fresno and Olive (I think). Was this the Falcons in the early days?

Big J

Post by Big J » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:43 pm

RoughRider1961 wrote:I remember seeing a professional ice hockey team playing in a building on the corner of Fresno and Olive (I think). Was this the Falcons in the early days?
*Possibly*

What time frame are we talking about? There were a few iterations of pro hockey throughout Fresno's history.

- The first Falcons team played in the late 30's thru mid to late 40's.

- Hockey returned to Fresno with the Fresno Aces for one season, 1968-69.

- The Aces changed their name to the Falcons for the 1969-70 season, and that's the team most remember fondly.

As for Fresno & Olive...I'd be inclined, not knowing any other details, to say that you saw the first iteration of the Falcons, but again, I'm only going on a guess. Maybe your username (Roosevelt? Class of '61?) might provide a clue...which if that's the case, yes you saw the first Falcons. And I wanna know everything you remember!