KYNO #1 Fresno!

~
You just got home from school and it’s Channel 30 Fun Time! Or maybe Nancy Allen's Movie Matinee on Channel 24. Don’t forget the BOSS 30's #1 KYNO. If you were sophisticated, you only listened to KFIG on some new airwave called FM. We honor the late great Al Radka here at Lost Fresno whose motto was Lettuce Eat it!
~
bonnieonnormal22

Re: KYNO #1 Fresno!

Post by bonnieonnormal22 » Thu May 29, 2014 12:15 pm

Anyone know where The Real Pete McNeal is? He was a DJ on KYNO in the 60's

Paul T.

Post by Paul T. » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:42 pm

Does anyone remember the Sunday night call-in show on KYNO? I listened to it for years. Who was the DJ for that? I called in a couple of times. He talked about really "important" subjects. I guess it was part of KYNO's public service requirement.

radionut

Post by radionut » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:17 pm

Big Bufe Characker- i know I mangled that spelling but it's close. I saw an obit for him 5 or 10 years ago - Seems he was connected with YFC - Youth For Christ. That's all I know about that Sunday night show or Big Bufe.

radionut

Post by radionut » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:50 am

I also preferred KMAKe. I recall KYNO fans being tagged with the term 'KYNOroo', as in being a rooter or fan I guess. And matching the graphic logo of a kangaroo holding a sign saying 'KYNO 1300' on printed weekly music surveys.

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Local Girl Makes Good ...

Post by Lost Fresno » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:40 am

Anybody remember when local Fresno girl, Kathy Saroyan made it on to the charts with Everybody People in 1971?
Attachments
KYNO Kathy Saroyan.JPG

monitman

Post by monitman » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:15 pm

That Sunday night KYNO talk show from 10-11 p.m. was hosted for years by "Bill Drummond," whose real name was Bill Monson. He succeeded Bufe. Bill was my broadcast teacher at Fresno State who became my mentor and best friend. I became his call screener and main back-up host. He passed away a few years ago.

billbird2111

Post by billbird2111 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:34 pm

I worked at KYNO starting in the mid 1980's after graduating from Fresno State. The station was still housed in its long-time home on Barton Ave. between Clinton and McKinley. I was the "news voice" on both the AM and FM stations for many years. When I started -- the original 13 KYNO still had some broadcast staff, headed up by Program Director Sue Ryan. It would switch to automation at night.

The AM station was also a San Francisco Giants affiliate, which is how I wormed my way in. The station needed a Board Operator to run the games and it was easy money and four to five hours worth of work for someone trying to break into the business full-time. I was allowed to experiment a great deal during the Giants broadcasts, and one of the things I first introduced was a pre-recorded promotion of the next day's game. I would keep tapes of the broadcasts and cut out the highlight plays and run two or three of them back to back under a music bed of "Humm Baby" (the old Giants logo). At that point I would flip on the microphone and say something like, "it's the Giants vs. the Dodgers, tonight at 7:00 on the Big 13, K-Y-N-O. I'd then run straight into a jingle to end the promo.

The on-air staff HATED these promos at first as I recall, and I was told in no uncertain terms to STOP doing them. But the General Manager heard them and LOVED them to the point where I was required to record three a day for the next day's game broadcast. I would later become the ND and serve through 1994, when I left for a NewsRadio startup operated by KMPH-TV owner Harry Pappas... I'll never forget my time at KYNO. There are a million memories. Most of them are very good.

Arne Dresslar

Post by Arne Dresslar » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:22 pm

Does anyone remember when they had "I'm a KYNO-roo" as a jingle? I remember one where the guy says "I'm a KYNO-roo!" and a girl responds "oh--I thought you were just some kinda nut or something".

Also years later in the 70's, I THINK it was KYNO that had spots where they were advertising some soft drink with BIG openings in the top so you could put ice in the can. They said it was the can with the BIG ICE HOLES. Get it???? Ice Holes????

PTokmak

Post by PTokmak » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:57 am

Anyone know about a dj named Charlie I think who also did dances at Junior Highschools in the 60s and 70s in Fresno. He also did movies and dances up at Hunington Lake in the summers. Anyone else remember him. Anyone know his history?

monitman

Post by monitman » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:38 pm

This should trigger great memories for those of us lucky enough to have grown up in Fresno during the great KYNO-KMAK radio battle in the early to mid-'60s.

Here are the weekday program schedules for both stations.

KYNO--Sept. 1963

Sam Schwan -- 6-9 a.m.
Dick Carr -- 9 a.m.-noon
Les Turpin -- noon-3 p.m.
Hal Pickens -- 3-6 p.m.
Glenn Adams -- 6-9 p.m.
Ed Mitchell -- 9 p.m.-midnight
Bob Elliott --midnight-6 a.m.

KMAK -- Sept. '63

Bob Morgan -- 6-9 a.m.
Frank Terry -- 9 a.m.-noon
Dave McCormick -- noon-3 p.m.