KYNO #1 Fresno!

~
You just got home from school and it’s Channel 30 Fun Time! Or maybe Nancy Allen's Movie Matinee on Channel 24. Don’t forget the BOSS 30's #1 KYNO. If you were sophisticated, you only listened to KFIG on some new airwave called FM. We honor the late great Al Radka here at Lost Fresno whose motto was Lettuce Eat it!
~
Conehead Mayor

KYNO #1 Fresno!

Post by Conehead Mayor » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:09 pm

KYNO Radio and Fresno was a test market for the "Boss Radio" format that became quite successful in other cities such as Los Angeles and San Diego. Fresno had it first! Great radio such as KYNO is definitely a part of "Lost Fresno". Hey, I miss it.
Attachments
kyno.jpg
kyno.jpg (282.97 KiB) Viewed 46287 times

DJ

Re: KYNO #1 Fresno!

Post by DJ » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:51 pm

We lived just down the street from KYNO & my mom spent time "Helping Out" there. She met a guy named Frank Arthur who ended up getting me on channel 47, Sunday nights at 7pm, on a KYNO supported show called "TV Turtle Derby." Anyone remember that? Early 60s. Also, my sister & I would walk down there & having been personally introduced to the Disc-Jockeys at the station, were allowed to give a list of "Request Songs" then run home & turn on the radio and listen to them. We loved KYNO & hated KMAK.

Scott-o-rama

Post by Scott-o-rama » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:32 pm

I remember in the early 60s when boring KMAK became rocking KMAKe, and it was a pretty exciting station for quite a while. They had the "KMAKe a call jackpot" where the DJ would call a random number and if the person know how much was in the jackpot they'd win the money. They also had a "bowlathon" (where one of the DJs bowled continuously for several days before giving in to exhaustion) -- and a "drumathon" where another DJ played drums for several days. One of those DJs was named Tom Maul. Does anybody remember the names of other KYNO and/or KMAKe DJs from that period? I think Sam Schwan and was a DJ on KYNO, and the guy that read the news was J. Paul Huddleston. The name Robert W. Shultz also comes to mind ...

frodoboy

Post by frodoboy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:12 am

"It's another KMAK double take!" Does anyone remember that line?? It later became synonymous with "Two for Tuesday" lines on FM stations. I still have a very old reel to reel tape of recorded KYNO and KMAK songs from the early 60's lying around somewhere. What is really creepy is if I hear a song on the 60's or Deep Tracks on XM radio, and it is one of the songs I recorded all those years ago, I remember the song that followed it and start humming the tune! Sam Swan was the DJ at KYNO. Where did Ray Appleton fit in?? Wasn't he a DJ on KMAK?? Does anyone remember the high end (around 1600AM) KARM?? My grandfather used to listen to that. I think it was mostly classical or Lawrence Welk style music.

Scott-o-Rama

Post by Scott-o-Rama » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:28 am

Yes, back around '64. Before the term 'nurd' was coined, about the most unhip label you could bestow on a fellow teen was "KARMer". Also, wasn't Frank Terry another local rock DJ from around that time. As a matter of fact, didn't the weekly "Boss 30" fliers back then sometimes have pictures of all the DJs along with their names and their on-air hours? If anybody has any of those fliers, could they please post them? The hairdos alone would give us all a good laugh! Thanks!
Attachments
KYNO 1962 fresno.jpg

Sky Princess

Post by Sky Princess » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:00 pm

KYNO disc jockey names I remember: Chip Roberts, Gary Mitchell, and I think Ted Kraft. My friend would call the djs and talk to them late into the night. Ted told her when Neil Diamond was coming into town and we went to the airport to meet him and Linda Ronstadt.

mascm

Post by mascm » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:24 am

Frank Terry was the DJ who did the drum-a-thon. He did it at White Front on Blackstone. I think he was with KMAKe at the time. I remember also DJs named Fred Kimmel, Tom Maule, Sam Schwan (KYNO) and Dick Carr (KYNO). Sam Schwan had a gimmick where they would call you at home and if you guessed who was calling ("is it Sam Schwan?), you'd win money. All the kids called each other to goof on one another, and we all fell for it out of fear of losing out on the cash.

boogibar

Re: KYNO - KMAK

Post by boogibar » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:42 pm

In a classic part of broadcast history, KMAK battled cross-town rival KYNO, originating many of the cornerstones and personalities of the now famous Boss Radio/Drake format. Several of the KMAK deejays from this era (Robert W. Morgan, Ron Jacobs, Tom Maule, Frank Terry, etc.) went onto become major industry stars.
Attachments
kyno control room.jpg
KYNO Control Room

Christopher Stone

Post by Christopher Stone » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:56 pm

Who could forget the "BOSS jOCKS WITH THEIR "BOSS 30?"

Johnny Morris

Post by Johnny Morris » Sun May 23, 2010 11:08 am

Yes KARM 1430. There was also KBIF 980. I grew up in Fresno. Born in 1948. I grew up on KYNO, KMAKe , KFRE and Happy Harold on KGST. I have great memories of Sam Swann, Dick Carr, Bob Elliott. Tom Maule on KMAK. And my all time favorite TV/Radio personality. Al Radka. I've been in radio now for 46 years. Growing up in Fresno being exposed to such great radio stations and personalities is what inspired me to pursue broadcasting as a career!