KYNO #1 Fresno!

~
You just got home from school and it’s Channel 30 Fun Time! Or maybe Nancy Allen's Movie Matinee on Channel 24. Don’t forget the BOSS 30's #1 KYNO. If you were sophisticated, you only listened to KFIG on some new airwave called FM. We honor the late great Al Radka here at Lost Fresno whose motto was Lettuce Eat it!
~
Yokanise

Re: KYNO #1 Fresno!

Post by Yokanise » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:44 pm

I graduated from Roosevelt High in 1959 & listened to KYNO for several yrs. during the late 50s & early 60s (KMAK not so much). I certainly remember Sam Schwan & about 10 yrs. later I got the impression that George Carlin might've worked for KYNO during its early "boss radio" days (under a different name, of course). Reason being that he had a comedy bit around then (early 70s maybe) about how he'd worked for a radio stn. like that & he called it "Wonderful Wino" in the bit, which of course sounded like "Wonderful KYNO" that you used to hear on the stn. a lot. Anybody know if he actually worked there as a DJ in those days?

galactustrilogy

KYNO memorabilia

Post by galactustrilogy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:02 pm

Grew up listening to KYNO in the late 60s and early 70s. I also tuned my AM radio to other top 40 type stations that I could sometimes get at night, such as Monterey's KMBY and SF's KFRC. I've attached a few cool items from 1969 and will do so in another reply, too.
Attachments
All-time-300-1969-03.jpg
All-time-300-1969-02.jpg

galactustrilogy

Post by galactustrilogy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:04 pm

Here is the other item from 1969. Anyone got a photo of the outside/inside of the station?
Attachments
Top-100-1960-1969-02.jpg
Top-100-1960-1969-01.jpg

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:27 am

KYNO DJ Joe Angel went on to become a pro baseball announcer - maybe with the SF Giants?

krazgeo

Post by krazgeo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:42 pm

I went to FSC from '64 to '69, and listened to KYNO in my car. As I would drive back out to Shaw Ave on Blackstone in the evening after going downtown for something, usually a movie, I could look east from the street and see the KMAKe letters on their transmitter. I remember thinking could there be a time when the two stations were playing the same song at the same time...finally one night they did. I don't remember what song it was, but they were just about at the same place on each station. Cool! I loved dragging Blackstone on Friday nights. Finally the police shut that down, but it was great while it lasted.

john ostlund

Post by john ostlund » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:49 am

Thought everyone might enjoy this great shot of KYNO jock, Sam Schwann taken in front of the old Horn Photo on Belmont. Thanks for listening to KYNO, now on 1430AM!
KYNO VW.jpg

Johnny Morris

Post by Johnny Morris » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:19 am

Can anyone tell me if Sam Schwan is still alive?? Any info??

58pacer

Post by 58pacer » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:08 pm

What a cool photo. I talked with Sam Schwan on the Boss Line, but never knew what he looked like because his photos on the KYNO surveys always showed only the back of his head, and his glasses put on backwards! Still looking for anyone with the "Lucky 13 radio KYNO" jingle package (or portions thereof).

Jim Bonkowski W6LFB

Post by Jim Bonkowski W6LFB » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:56 pm

When I was at Fresno State College (as it was back then in the 60's) I had my first-class FCC license and got a job as a station engineer at KYNO. Jack du Mars was the Chief Engineer then. KYNO was then 1300 kHz - think still the Mutual (MBS) affiliate; ran 5 kw days and 1 kw nights (directional to protect KWKW in Los Angeles). Here is how I recall the Fresno Radio Dial in 1957 - think that was the year KEAP signed on:

KMJ 580 NBC
KBIF 900 (Daytime)
KFRE 940 CBS
KEAP 980 (Daytime)
KYNO 1300 MBS
KMAK 1340
KARM 1430 ABC
KGST 1600 (Daytime)

Also remember living on Pine St. near McKinley & Fresno - from our front yard, could see the KMAK tower with red neon letters at night: "K-M-A-K - KMAK" repeatedly. KGST was an "eclectic" station - bit of everything. C&W, Spanish language, blues, jazz, etc. Never thought that "Happy Harold" and "Blues" in "Happy Harold's House of Blues" quite went together!!! KEAP came on as first real C&W station. Only recall 3 FM stations then: KMJ-FM, KARM-FM, and KRFM, Classical format, operated by KFRE.

Remember Al Radka's station ID: "This is KFRE, Fresno, with 50 million milliwatts of power!!" Took some RTV courses at Fresno State, and had part-time job as engineer ("Baby-sitter" for DJ's that never could learn a volt from an ohm) at KYNO out on Cedar by McKinley. Finally, KMJ: Used to listen to "X-minus One" (Science fiction) on KMJ on my crystal set as a kid. When in the Navy in San Diego, I spotted a car in the base parking lot with the CA plate: "KMJ 580" - took a picture of it intending to take it in to KMJ in exchange for a tour of the station, but, alas, I never did!!

Jim Bonkowski, W6LFB

Jim Bonkowski W6LFB

Post by Jim Bonkowski W6LFB » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:06 pm

OOPS - Forgot: As a kid, listened to the ball games on KYNO. Think it was the Cardinals up thru 1956, the "Sunsox" in 1957, then the Giants from 1958 on. I would sneak the old single "Trimm" earphone under the pillow and listen via my Crystal set after "lights out". Thought I was pretty coy!! But decades later, found out from my Dad that he did the same thing as a kid (even picked up KFI Los Angeles on his crystal set back in Rochester NY. But he never let on to my mom! Still remember Jerry Zuvela (RF) was the team captain on the Sox. And Gary Rushing hit all the home runs. Still have a program from one of the games, signed by most of the players. Gary Rushing's sig was big and bold, like John Hancock's!