Cedar Lanes Bowling Alley

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
lendawg1182

Re: Cedar Lanes Bowling Alley

Post by lendawg1182 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:59 am

When we were kids we went to Cedar lanes on Friday's in the summer and bowled 3 games for a dollar and then on the way home stopped in at Thrifty's and got a 3 scoop icecream cone for 15 cents. Those were the day's.

lendawg1182

Post by lendawg1182 » Thu May 24, 2012 10:13 am

Sad for Cedar Lanes closing for good June 3,2012.
Attachments
cedar lanes matches.jpg
Click to Enlarge

billmac

Post by billmac » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:19 am

In the early 1960's, Cedar Lanes was a popular spot for my family. My parents would bowl league on Wed nite and always bring home those 10 cent candy bars from the machine for us kids. On Saturday mornings, my sister and I bowled a league for kids. I remember it was $1.05 each for the 3 games. We had a great time in the smokey place. Speaking of which, in my teenage years, we would sneak in the side door and hot foot it to the cigarette machine during off peak times to avoid detection. lol

I also remember my bicycle getting stolen while I was in nearby Long's drug store for 5 min. I had a paper route and was devastated over the loss. Maybe that is when I started smoking. lol I am happy to report I have been smoke free for 25 years.

sjvalleydave

Post by sjvalleydave » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:34 pm

I never knew that was a Long's Drug store...ever since I can remember (mid 60's) it was a Thrifty's Drug Store...My dad would take me in there with him when he would check the tubes on our TV with their machine...LOL It was right by the door..

Drakonyx

Post by Drakonyx » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:32 pm

Very sad to see it torn down. My parents used to take me here for dinner when I was very young. They didn't bowl, but they liked the food. I remember going in and hearing the sound of the bowling balls striking the pins and asking them, "What's that?" They told me it was a bowling alley, and I was shocked. I thought it was a restaurant. (I was something like 5 years old at the time.)
Attachments
Cedar Lanes 40 Lanes.jpeg
Click to Enlarge

senpaidonna

Post by senpaidonna » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:05 am

When Cedar Lanes was torn down, I cried. I ate dinner there almost every week-night of my young life, plus many breakfasts and lunches, too. Cedar Lanes Coffee Shop...that was where I was finally big enough not to sit in a booster seat for the first time...that was where I was finally old enough to order for myself for the first time. I used to sit in the coffee shop and look toward the darkened dining room and couldn't wait until I was old enough to eat in there with all the grown-ups. My favorite waitress there for many, many years was Donna. The hostess, Bev, was always so nice. Sometimes at dinner, my parents would order a cocktail, and the cocktail server, I think her name was Carol, would come bring their drinks from the bar. She had a French ponytail with lots of curls, and she wore a short red dress with ruffles. I thought it was beautiful. Breakfast was always the Spanish omelette, lunch and dinner always a cold turkey sandwich, unless I was feeling fancy, then it was the hamburger steak with mushroom gravy. Dessert? Why, the chocolate cake, of course.

The food was always really good. I loved how they stirred the dressing up in the salad rather than just glopping it on top, though I never liked the one slice of beet that topped the salad. When I got older, I could walk around the place, and I played an ancient video game: a trivia quiz called the General Knowledge Test. I loved it. Once, may parents let me walk over there for lunch by myself. After finishing my turkey sandwich, I ordered a slice of chocolate cake. Bev and Donna conferred about it, then asked if my parents had said it was OK, as I usually did not get cake with my lunch. They ended up calling my Dad to get permission for me to have the cake! Right after I turned 21, I went to Cedar Lanes, to the dining room, FINALLY! I got the amazing prime rib and had a cocktail. Carol gave it to me for free. I continued going to Cedar Lanes until all of the waitresses I knew (and who knew and remembered me) were gone. It just wasn't the same without them.

MikeS1957

Post by MikeS1957 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:06 am

I grew up across Cedar from here on Archie. I couldn't believe it in 2012 when I heard it was going to close. What a loss.

j.smith

Post by j.smith » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:56 pm

Goodbye Cedar Lanes, I loved you so.

Teddy51

Post by Teddy51 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:06 pm

Great to see some posts about Cedar Lanes were I practically grew up. In 2009, I took these photos - I guess they will become quite rare as Cedar Lanes is no longer.
cedar_lanes.jpg
Table number one directly behind the cash register, aka: "The hostess booth"
cedar_lanes2.jpg
Looking toward the Coffee Shop's counter, complete with funky sunflowers applied toward the end of its' long life.
cedar_lanes3.jpg
The "Cedar Room" was a banquet hall, I had my H.S. graduation breakfast there. This shot also shows the double doors that lead into the kitchen for the staff.
cedar_lanes_2009.jpg
A pretty lady sitting on the bench just outside the Cocktail Lounge. There used to be a cigarette machine here that took 50 cents.

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:24 pm

And it had Fine Food!
Attachments
fine food.jpg