Cedar Lanes Bowling Alley

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
Spacecadetdave

Re: Cedar Lanes Bowling Alley

Post by Spacecadetdave » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:18 pm

Found this site and amazed! I went to McLane High School when Fresno High was under modifications. I would ditch class and go to Cedar Lanes and play the pinball games. I remember the baseball game was rigged with a small hole on the side and we could stick a wire in it and get 99 games without a dime. Memories of the past of Cedar Lanes and that area will always be there.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Sun__May_12__1963_.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee - May 12, 1963

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:18 am

Although I worked as a bus boy in the Coffee Shop and saw the Cedar Lanes logo thousands of times - I never noticed that between each ray had a stylized C. L. which I think is really cool.

If we had to take a vote of which lost Fresno institution was missed the most, Cedar Lanes would be at the top of the list.
Attachments
cedar lanes logo.jpg
Click to Enlarge

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:25 pm

Another great memory is my McLane high School graduation party at: you guessed it - Cedar Lanes. The most coveted location for any all night senior party in Fresno! Not to belittle my friends at Hoover, Fresno High, Roosevelt and so on but you guys musta been crying over not being able to lock down Cedar Lanes for your party. Of course the party fee was a steep $4.25 per senior but well worth it.

Oh sure, it was all a matter of location, as McLane was just a couple of blocks away and it was the logical choice. But every Highlander spent their entire 3 years looking forward to this event. Yes it was true that the boys tried to sneak in alcohol in advance by renting small storage lockers used for storing shoes while bowling. But Cedar Lanes management had a policy of inspecting all the lockers before the party. Or maybe it was the pesky PTA board members who hosted the event. They were so thourough that not even the oranges that had vodka injected into them survived.

The Fresno Bee ran a little article about our party: Free bowling, dancing and a 3:00 am all-you-could-eat buffet.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Sun__Jun_7__1970_.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee - June 7, 1970

galactustrilogy

Post by galactustrilogy » Mon May 27, 2019 10:59 am

Here are a few photos from the last day of Cedar Lanes existence...
Attachments
2012-06-03 Cedar Lanes closes-35.jpg
2012-06-03 Cedar Lanes closes-14-A.jpg
2012-06-03 Cedar Lanes closes-08.jpg

galactustrilogy

Post by galactustrilogy » Mon May 27, 2019 11:00 am

A few more photos from Cedar Lanes last day...
Attachments
2012-06-03 Cedar Lanes closes-66-crop.jpg
Last burgers!
2012-06-03 Cedar Lanes closes-45.jpg
2012-06-03 Cedar Lanes closes-43.jpg