Yosemite Junior High School, 1951-54

~
Amongst the fondest of all of our memories are from High School. Share where you attended, who your special friend was or the winning game touchdown you made. Also list a long lost classmate that you are searching for. And we love seeing photos of around your campus.
~
Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Yosemite Junior High School, 1951-54

Post by Lost Fresno » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:15 am

This memory was submitted by Senior57: Yosemite Junior High School, 1951-54. A current photo of the school on Google Maps shows the building layout is just about the same as I remember almost sixty years ago. The pictures that come to mind are of the way the students dressed back in those days. Most of the kids wore neat, clean clothes. The girls were in long skirts and nice tops, while the boys were also neatly attired. One of them even adopted a dapper cane for a few days.

To show how things never really change, some of the boys wore their pants really low. Mr. Rush, the woodshop teacher, had one of them smartmouth him in class one day. He simply walked over to him and said something like "Wearing those pants kind of low aren't you?" and jerked them down to the kid's ankles. He was humiliated, and I don't think he was a problem (at least in woodshop) from then on. Today, that probably would have brought on a storm of protest against the teacher. Another fad that went on for awhile was the wearing of mismatched bright colored socks. You wore, for example, on green and one red sock. I think that when couple were going steady, the girl would sometimes wear her boyfriend's jacket to show the world that they were an item.

We had talent shows now and then, and I remember a particularly beautiful girl named Cecelia who danced, always being very careful to hold her skirt close to her legs as she whirled about onstage. We were all very excited about moving up to Roosevelt High, and probably didn't appreciate enough what we had all achieved at Yosemite, and the fine staff that helped us do it. I'll have to continue this later....

Senior57