Sierra Jr. High in 1965

~
Amongst the fondest of all of our memories are from High School. Share where you attended, who your special friend was or the winning game touchdown you made. Also list a long lost classmate that you are searching for. And we love seeing photos of around your campus.
~
Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Sierra Jr. High in 1965

Post by Lost Fresno » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:59 pm

Fellow Lost Fresno folks, I entered Sierra Jr. High as a 7th grader in 1965. It was a great place back then and I have many fond memories of going to school there. I was the newspaper photographer and still have a copy of it! Before I left Fresno in 1973, I remember seeing that it had changed to another school format. Does anybody know the history of exactly what happened? As you can see it is now Ducan Polytechnical. Also, if anybody attended Sierra, give a shout out in this thread.
Attachments
sierra-jr-high.jpg

LP

Re: Sierra Jr. High in 1965

Post by LP » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:02 pm

I attended Sierra Jr high from 1975-1978. Good times! :) Remember the big landscape all-student photos in black & white? I was in the front row sitting next to one of best friends Sandy. We were told to freeze while the camera swept across the landscape. I was cracking some jokes to my friend without moving, got her laughing so hard she came out all blurry in the pic. I was such a brat! LOL

Also, I recall Sandy and I were in the dean of girls office one day, I think her name was Mrs. Patch? Our other friend, Wendy, was outside the window of the office and while we were waiting for the dean to come back she was knocking on the window to see what was going on. We moved the blinds a bit, and the entire blind structure fell to the floor. That's when the dean came back and started yelling at us for trashing her office. She didn't buy our explanation one bit! ;)

billwelshsf

Post by billwelshsf » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:18 am

I went to Sierra Jr High from 64 to 67. What I remember best were the "sock hops' and "ice cream socials". I think that was just in the 7th and 8th grade. I remember Mr. Forestiere who was part of the family that owned the Forestiere Gardens out by Hyw 99 somewhere. I remember the 7th grade was the first time I had to where a jock strap in PE.

38brown

Post by 38brown » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:00 pm

Hi, I went to Duncan Poly and graduated from there in 1992. I have some older friend's that went there when it was Sierra Jr High.

yesi

Post by yesi » Wed May 25, 2011 5:45 pm

by any chance do you have pictures of sierra vista high ?

pduval65

Re: Sierra Jr. High in the beginning

Post by pduval65 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:12 pm

I attended Sierra Jr. High when it first opened in September 1959 as an 8th grader. My 7th grade was at Yosemite. A conglomeration of 7th thru 9th students came from all over when it opened. Some leaving friends they had gone to school with, but due to school boundaries that changed. It was great starting at a brand new school, coming up with a school symbol, the Eagle. I was fortunate enough to be the first editor of the school paper 'The Eagle'. I still have a copy of a couple of papers. Mr. Fox was the faculty advisor. I believe he taught English. Mr. Everett Smith was the head of physical education for the boys, as well as the head coach for basketball and baseball.

dl88

Post by dl88 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:39 pm

I was at Sierra Junior High from 1977 to 1978. During my 6th and 7th grade years there I had a great time and fond memories. The Summer before 9th grade they changed the format to just 9th grade and then a few years after that it changed to Duncan PolyTechnical. During my years there the teachers I remember still are Mr. Thornton - P.E., Mr. Jones - English.

sjvalleydave

Post by sjvalleydave » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:41 pm

Mr Thornton was there when I went to Sierra in the 7th grade before we moved to San Jose for 3 years. It was a 7th, 8th and 9th grade school when I was there.

res704

Post by res704 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:28 pm

Entered also in 1965. Mr. Curtis for band.

califslide

Post by califslide » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:34 am

What a gas finding this site! Mr. Fox - I danced with the 7th grade heartthrob at a sock hop in the auditorium.
Mr. Curtis with orchestra and band had a soul patch way back then. Mr Herries taught science and - was it
Mr. Echles who taught math? My all time favorite - I think she influenced a lot of teen lives - was Miss Dorothy Leavitt.
Does anybody remember her? Lana Sawyer did the solos during the Christmas concert and I sang next to a
guy named............Bruce? on the top riser - I don't think she knew what to do with me. Did not have a great
voice (we both knew it) but I've always felt she did it to encourage me.........not in music and song necessarily
but in life. Oh - Mr. Robertson taught geography or govererment and Miss Owens had the music appreciation class.
Girls P.E. Miss Patchen and Mrs. Scholl.
Anybody know what became of Miss Leavitt? I remember our mixed chorus won at least one state competition??