Don't forget Clovis!

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
Horseluvr

Don't forget Clovis!

Post by Horseluvr » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:10 am

Fresno wouldn't be Fresno if Clovis weren't Clovis. Cowboys, cowgirls and rodeos!!!

Hamm On Wry

Re: Don't forget Clovis!

Post by Hamm On Wry » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:34 pm

Can't forget the Big Clovis Rodeo! In 1985, I bought a house just behind the Rodeo grounds. When the rodeo was going on, I met a rodeo clown and his family, got some free tickets to the rodeo, so we had them over for dinner. Lots of fun.

frodoboy

Post by frodoboy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:39 am

I still have a map of Fresno circa 1935 I believe. It shows Clovis as a tiny town a long ways away from Fresno! I remember we had to travel quite a long time from our house on Dearing to get there.

carlesglass

Post by carlesglass » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:36 am

I can never forget Clovis. I was born there at the old Clovis hospital that is now gone and now has the Ken Curtis Statue. The hospital sat on what is now a parking lot behind the statue. Our house was on the corner of Pollasky an Bullard. It was torn down in 1960, so we moved to Fresno. However, we always came back for doctor visits with Dr. Pendergrass, or just visit old friends. But Bullard doesn't run through and hasn't for a long time. The extension might have been Sixth Street. The now defunct DMV building is just a lot, but the old Police and Fire Department use to be there. Across the street on the other corner of Pollasky and Bullard stands Bank of America. In the 50s and early 60s there use to be a TV and radio repair shop with little bungelows to rent. On the corner of Pollasky and Seventh you see a spanish style house surrounded by a wall. Yes, it's still there today. And on my way to kindergarten (Sierra Vista Elementary) I use to try and touch the top of that wall that surrounded that house. Today, the top of that wall is about chest high. I visit from time to time as my mother and a sibling still live there. I love Clovis. I hope you've been to the Clovis museum. I found my mom's senior picture in there. Great historical information that gives the inside to Clovis and it's roots.

Carl

jeremi08

Post by jeremi08 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:13 am

WIll never forget Clovis

LN09

Post by LN09 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:15 pm

In the late 50’s at Clovis High there were dances every Thur evening for all the seventh and eighth graders in the CUDS. The first hour was ballroom dance lessons (waltz, foxtrot, cha cha, rumba, etc) and the second hour was free dance to rock-n-roll music. Forgot all about those ballroom dances until I started watching DWTS.

LN09

Post by LN09 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:53 pm

Oops, that should be CUSD - Clovis Unified School District.

LisaMarquise

Post by LisaMarquise » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:25 pm

I marched in the Clovis Parade from 7th grade on as a majorette or in drill team for Sierra High. In 1969 my tiny grade school of Pine Ridge had a truck we decorated with red white and blue balloons, and played 'Up Up and Away in My Beautiful Balloon' while we twirled batons and marched behind it.

oldClovisian51

Post by oldClovisian51 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:29 pm

I grew up in Clovis during the 50's, 60's and some of the 70's, we lived on the dirt 4 acre long Cherryfield Ave.across from Lamanuzzi Pantaleo Packing. Lowe's appliance department is about where our little park stood. I remember getting up Saturday mornings to watch the cartoons then Mom would get dressed in her stockings, high heels, hat and gloves and announce okay we're off to Fresno ("oh man" I always whined "that's just so far, do we have to go?").

Dad and I would sit in the car at the Courthouse Park (the cool old courthouse with the memorial drinking fountain out front) while mom scoured Newberry's, Penny's, Gottschalk's, Roos Bros. and dozens more culminating in a delectable purchase from Karsh's Bakery on Fulton. Dad and I made a game of identifying every make/model of car that drove by (much to Mom's chagrin as I'm a girl and she wasn't thrilled at having a tomboy)while we waited for Mom to come back with boxes and bags of stuff, especially that pink box of mixed delights from the bakery. Cheese Pockets, Napoleons, walnut bars and frosted brownies...mmmm.

Back then it was a more than a ten mile drive which was a lot of farmland with a little AG school in the middle of it called Fresno State College...between Winery and Fresno street Shaw was just one long stretch of road without signals and in summer the air was cooled by the irrigation of the alfalfa and college pastures. We didn't even have bus service to Fresno after Moyer's Stage Line stopped running. Yikes...can't believe I still remember all that...it was a gentler place, at least on the surface.

flwbdw

Post by flwbdw » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:16 pm

Who could ever forget Clovis. A beautiful little town. My parents and grandparents are buried in the Clovis cemetery and services were held at Boyce.

The hardtop track was great. Always knew we in Clovis as soon as we passed Sandovals Reliable Auto Body on Clovis Ave and Shaw. The only bad thing was when we were there with our Rough Rider decals in the back window the Cougars would take offense and run us out of town. Looking back now it was all great and good fun.