Lightning Records 3551 Ventura St 93702

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
Fleetcomm

Lightning Records 3551 Ventura St 93702

Post by Fleetcomm » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:04 pm

Bob & Walt Mah had the most awesome little record store. I started going there when I was 13 years old and by the time I was 21 I was gone from Fresno. (1975) I went there almost daily. They had such a sense for what the customer liked. Just a few rows off Rock (Not Pop) But they always had what I liked. Luckily Archie Patterson went there too which helped me a lot.

Wherehouse & Tower Records among with CDs slowly took them down. I was not there when they closed and gave away everything. Two old Chinese men raised me on Rock & Roll.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Fri__Nov_8__1968_.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee - Nov. 8, 1968

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: Lightning Records 3551 Ventura St 93702

Post by Lost Fresno » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:55 pm

Was this ad for the Lightning Company before they switched over to just selling records or did they always perform radio repair as well? I never made it over to their store. I see this ad (from Pinterest) has a street address of 1403 Tulare St. Very old phone number too with the Amherst prefix as well. We had the Baldwin prefix at our house!
Attachments
Ligtning company.jpg
Click to Enlarge

sloortega@aol.com

Post by sloortega@aol.com » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:16 pm

My friend Mario Blanco family's bakery was two doors down from Lightning Records. Mario was good friend with Bob Mah. I remember seeing and talking with Bob when he would drop by the bakery. Bob would always bring a treat or something to eat when he visited Mario. He was the nicest person. The bakery and Lighting Records are gone now and Mario Blanco passed. I have fond memories of Bob walking into Blanco's with a smile on his face and Mario and I equally happy to see him.

stephsilva85

Post by stephsilva85 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:00 am

My Mother, CARMEN TORRES OF FRESNO CALIFORNIA, USED TO WORK AT LIGHTNING RECORDS, IN THE 1970's. She did a lot of the inventory, and ordering. My Mom had an ear for Music and Her Heart and Soul was Music.
She brought nothing but the Best. My Mom was the first Bootlegger of Dubbed A-Tracks here in Fresno, of All the Greatest underground Rare Hits. Everyone who was Anyone was trying to get her Music. A lot of the Best Shit! Was playing in people's cars while they were Cruising. She always had her crates of Records. My Mother had the Greatest of the Greats Playlist.. What I call Now My Mom Now Fresno's Finest.. Of All time Underground Rare Oldies. Of Our Chicano Culture!... Man the Music I know Growing Up, I was Blessed for My Mom to have instilled in Me, to have an ear for Music and Have Nothing but the BEST MUSIC!! Ain't No One here in FRESNO, CALIFAS. THAT CONTINUES TO HAVE MUSIC, LIKE THIS.. BUT I DO LOVE WHEN I'M ABLE TO SHARE MUSIC WITH SOMEONE....