Back in time: Children's Nutritional School

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
ChelyWely

Re: Back in time: Children's Nutritional School

Post by ChelyWely » Sat May 21, 2022 2:27 pm

The school was located at 3774 W Belmont. From a group I follow, someone posted and said bad things would happen to the kids who lived there?

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:23 pm

My stepfather speaks of horrifying things at the Nutritional Home and his hatred for Ms. Blackmon is intense. He said the kids were starving. He was given cereal with bugs in it. He was separated from his sister and was not allowed to see her for years. Ms. Blackmon was loved by the ladies in the community and he said she had everyone fooled. People would donate candy for the kids which was kept in barrels in the basement and they couldn’t have it. He says she hated children. She wouldn’t let the kids have the things sent to them by their parents. She loved The attention she’d got from the community. He said every day was hopeless and he hated her guts. He says someone who worked there finally turned her in and she was committed. I don’t know how much of this is true, but these are his memories.

Janelle

Post by Janelle » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:10 pm

My grandma lived in this home for 5 years from the age of 4-9. She was beaten with a rose bush. She was told to go pick it just to be beat with it. She was kept in the basement with rats. She had her toys held from her where my great grandma found the buggy in the attic that she had gifted her daughter. Ms. Blackmon hid toys that were given to the children. She made her sleep on their stomachs with their head to the right and arms straight down. If they weren't sleeping that way, she whipped them. My grandma has told me many more stories. She wasn't fed or fed very little. She was fed milk and bread and sometimes just bread and water. Ms. Blackmon was an alcoholic. She would eat a steak in front of them while they ate their bread and water/milk. She would threaten to beat the kids more if they told their parents. In fact, she is in the middle of writing her story about it. She was eventually fired after my great grandma turned her in. My geandma only weighed 45 lbs when she was 9 years old when she left this place. This lady got away with so much. It breaks my heart for these kids and what they had to deal with during and afterwards.Please let me know if anyone has more information