Blackstone Sky Slide of 1968

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
FresnoFresh

Blackstone Sky Slide of 1968

Post by FresnoFresh » Sat May 09, 2015 3:28 pm

Greetings everyone. One of my favorite memories of growing up in Fresno was date night on the weekend. And there always seemed to be new and exciting adventures for a boy who had $5.00 of lawn mowing money in his pocket. I would cut a couple of neighbors lawns and have enough to take a girl to dinner and a movie! Occasionally, I would get creative and come up with another fun date activity: enter the Sky Slide on Blackstone. It was huge and brand new in August of 1968. It looked like fun and I was only slightly afraid, but hid that from my date. I can't remember the price for 2 of us, maybe a dollar? We climbed up the four stories on metal stairs and were handed a potato like slack to sit on. Then we were off and a few seconds later it was over. But a hell of a ride, I tell ya. When I first found this site, I read the "Top 10" old Fresno memories and saw it posted as the "Giant Slide on Blackstone. I didn't think that it was the correct name when I first read it as I had always remembered it as the "Sky Slide". It had made a very big impression on me because it was one of those fun dates that always sticks with you. Today, I found this article announcing the opening and sure enough: Sky Slide was the name.

*Note from admin: Newspaper clipping added from 1968 showing Sky Slide article.
Attachments
Sky-Slide-Coming-p1.jpg
Fresno Bee - Aug. 16, 1968 - Sky Slide 1
Sky-Slide-Coming-p2.jpg
Fresno Bee - Aug. 16, 1968 - Sky Slide 2

jamie7112

Re: Blackstone Sky Slide of 1969

Post by jamie7112 » Sun May 10, 2015 2:37 pm

I rode the sky slide too! I was a hoot. I've looked all over for pictures of the one in Fresno but I've never found one. However, it was a franchise and there were many across the country at the time. I've include some photos that I've stumbled upon on the internet that looked exactly like the one in Fresno but I want to stress that these are all out of state. But they will give those who never experienced the thrill of the mighty Sky Slide to get a general idea.

Jamie
Attachments
sky-slide-reference-only-2.jpg
The Sky Slide
sky-slide-reference-only-2.jpg (28.45 KiB) Viewed 8820 times
sky-slide-reference-only-4.jpg
sky-slide-reference-only-1.jpg

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Sat May 30, 2015 2:57 pm

Update on the Sky Slide: apparently there was controversy over obtaining a permit for the second installation.
Attachments
rejected-sky-slide.jpg
Fresno Bee - Wed. Aug. 21, 1968 - Second Sky Slide article

Beachylife

Sky Slide Blackstone Ave

Post by Beachylife » Thu May 21, 2020 5:49 pm

Do you remember Sky Slide on Blackstone Ave? We slid down on a gunny sack. This photo is from 1968, I was 6. I don't remember what years it was operable. But it caught fire, never to return again.
Attachments
20200519_153004.jpg