Hamm On Wry wrote:1) Fresno High vs. Roosevelt in the Little Big game, where the trophy was a stuffed pig. (and the semi vandalism that the two schools students played on each other....Teddy Roosevelt in a diaper anyone?)
2) Being able to ride our bikes anywhere in town at any hour... and not worrying our parents when we did so.
3) The Tower District. Anything you wanted to buy, you could get in about a 1/2 mile radius.
4) Delivering the Fresno Bee on my bike after school. Route 36, east side of Wilson Ave and west side of Roosevelt, Olive to McKinley Avenues.
5) Cutting lawns in the summer with a pushmower for $.50 a yard. Edging thrown in free!
6) At 15 and 16, riding my 10 speed out to Mendota, Friant or Piedra to fish on the weekends.
7) Getting a bucket of KFC and going out to the drive in at Olive and Clovis Aves to catch a show on one of TWO screens, sometimes trying to watch both movies at the same time.
8) Going out to the parking lot by the airport by the Air National Guard station and watching the planes taking off and landing... and wishing I was on one of them.
9) Carriage House Restaurant across from Farrels in Fig Garden. Owned and operated by Richard Woo and family. I had a huge crush on his daughter Susie, but that's a story for another time.
10) Riding my bike across town on Sunday mornings to go to church with my Grandma Lettie McDowell. Harvey-Millbrook Church of God.
Lost Fresno wrote:Many memories
The INDIAN, his 12x12 wood house & his land at 1st & Dakota (did he leave his tribe? homestead?cast out of tribe?) He'd sit on his front porch everyday with his rifle and dog, watching us walk by on way to school and the town grow around him. He always appeared worn and elderly, but he too was a young person growing up in Fresno. Believe he held on to that land till he died. Anyone know more about him?
Reprinted with permission from Fresno Famous
Greatest onion rings around! I worked initially on the drive-in, then inside. My BF and I used to visit the motel restaurant (the name escapes me at this moment) on Blackstone at Ashlan, across the street from now-Petco after I got off duty every weekend. My favorite cop used to provide security on Friday and/or Saturday nights to cover the drinking crowd. He would stand there with the most solemn look on his face and it took me months to get him to smile gently at me.10. Working at Bob's Big Boy for $2.25 per hour plus tips.
LP wrote:- the old Fresno Falcons games, used to go there every week in the early-mid 70s (my dad ran the scoreboard during the games, we would get in free and get to bring 1 friend each)
Lost Fresno wrote:Reprinted from FresnoFamous.com
1. The Giant Slide (Blackstone Ave)
2. Ferrells Ice Cream Parlor (Fig Garden)
3. Lester Burger (Blackstone & Clinton)
4. Carrosel Skating Rink (Cedar & Shields)
5. Arthurs Toys (Blackstone Ave)
6. Perry's Boys Smorgy (Manchester Mall)
7. Nicola's Restaurant (Maroa & Shields)
8. White Front Discount Store (Blackstone & Ashlan)
9. Al Radka Commercials (Oberti Olives, Lamours Cleaners, etc).
10. KKDJ - Dean and Don's Breakfast Club
Well FF in all its wisdom has deleted the original wonderful Lost Fresno thread. The new site has no soul, either - it's bland and looks like a hundred other sites. Thanks McClatchy! Good luck with the financially-troubled Fresno Bee!
David wrote:Carnation Restaurants
When Fresno State actually had a good basketball team with Boyd Grant and Tark (Thank God Steve Cleveland is gone)
LisaMarquise wrote:PS- Some high schools we (Sierra HS) played against (and traveled to, sometimes for over an hour by school bus) were:
Selma (I remember their colors were orange and black)
San Joaquin Memorial
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest