Tight-rope walker suspended over Fulton Street

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
jesstermann

Tight-rope walker suspended over Fulton Street

Post by jesstermann » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:47 am

I remember a high-wire tight-rope walker climbing a wire suspended over the tall buildings on Fulton Street (before the mall). The street was blocked off and there were thousands of people there to watch. Remember the guy named Elia who was always running for mayor? Didn't he have a bodyguard who had the misfortune to have his pants fall down in public?

I remember Dick Contino playing his accordion at a fund raiser at the now gone old St. Alphonsus parish hall. I saw Johnny Mathis in concert in the Fresno City College gym. The crazy competition between KYNO and KMAK after the K-Maker's Dozen hit Fresno. I remember seeing that very young band called the Beach Boys playing on the roof of KMAK's studio on McKinley off Fresno Street. Remember how magical Fulton Street looked during the Christmas season with all the lights strung over the street? Remember how all the city buses seemed to converge at Fresno and Fulton Streets? And how come none of you mentioned the soda fountain in Casner's Drug Store at that same intersection? There was a place called Weymouth's Plunge on Whites Bridge, wasn't there? I recall it was a pretty big pool.

Finally, how the $1000 Treasure Hunt put on by KYNO (or was it KMAK?) had people digging up everyone's property after each clue was announced?
Oh yeah, almost forgot, mom would give us each a dollar on kid's day at the Fresno Fair. It lasted the whole day and included the bus fare to and back... my how times have changed.

Steve H.

Re: Do any of you remember?

Post by Steve H. » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:24 am

I remember Fulton St. at Christmas, and I remember Casner Drug Store. The photo guy at Casner's was Claus (can't remember last name). He sold my dad the Viewmaster 3-D camera that he used to take the photos I posted. He had a heavy German accent. He was here as a WWII POW and stayed after the war. He and his wife were incredibly gifted musicians. I loved it when his family would come to our house for dinner (son named Wolfie) and he would play the piano. He would hear any song one time on the radio and be able to play it masterfully on the piano!

Marvbin

Re: Do any of you remember?

Post by Marvbin » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:53 pm

How many remember stopping at Lefty's Fruit Stand on the way to Millerton Lake the mid 60's.