I was born and raised in Fresno. Left for about 15 Years

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
Scrooloose

I was born and raised in Fresno. Left for about 15 Years

Post by Scrooloose » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:11 pm

My first 2 babysitters lived a couple of doors down from each other on McKenzie and 7th. I remember walking to Jackson elementary. At least once a week I would have to wait for the train to pass on Tulare Ave & 7th. The train ran right down the middle of Tulare Ave then jogged northeast around 8th. You can still see where the old tracks used to go. They have made a park out of some of the land and put houses on other. That track went to Clovis and was connected to the old Gallo winery.

Getting back to Jackson elementary. It was a old 2 story schoolhouse ( '66 ) then when I went to the 1st grade a year later we helped move our stuff to the bungalow style buildings. I went by there just recently and it looks like they rebuilt the school again on the original side of the property. Then I moved again and went to Winchell elementary. It was identical type of building to the old original Jackson elementary. Well with one exception. The building leaned and I remember walking the stairs with that lean. It was weird walking down the leaning stairs. Then in '71 we moved to NE Fresno and I went to Viking elementary. I lived off Gettysburg and Winery. Back then it was in the sticks. I lived in that house before I moved away. I went to Sierra Junior High then graduated from McLane. I remember the short days at Sierra I would walk home. Stop by Harpains dairy for chocolate milk in a glass bottle. I still have 2 of those bottles today. Perfect condition. They had a little zoo there as well.

I remember cruising Belmont Ave until one of my friends brother got stabbed in the kidneys when he was on the phone with my Godmother. He almost died. There was a lot going on down Belmont so the FPD stated no more cruising down Belmont. Then we started cruising the parking lot where the old Kmart and Arthurs toys was at on Barstow and Blackstone. Then they started gating the parking lot so you could not cruise. Then everyone started cruising on Blackstone between Shaw and Bullard. The cool rides were always parked at the A & W. Oh yeah. We also cruised the Arcade that had the "Empire Strikes Back" Theme near where Montgomery Wards store was. Now its Target.

There was also another arcade down the street on Escalon and Blackstone. I think its a pool supply or Herb Bauers. I remember then we all started hanging out at Malibu Grand prix and then people started cruising Abby there in Pinedale. I also remember when I was little when Gemco burned down to the ground the night before its grand opening. I also worked for the Fresno Giants from '73 - ''76. Ah the summer of '76 when Frampton Comes Alive came out and FM 96 was banging it out.

Big J

Re: I was born and raised in Fresno. Left for about 15 years and

Post by Big J » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:03 pm

Thanks for sharing! I'd love to hear more about your time working for the Giants.