Nosey the elephant at Roeding Park

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Nosey the elephant at Roeding Park

Post by Lost Fresno » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:46 pm

Most of us remember Nosey, a fine Pachyderm for sure. She was actually one of the reasons the Zoo got started in the first place, just a few years before I was born in the late 40's. So, she had always been there when my family had an outing at Roeding Park which seemed to be such a special day for me. So far off from North Fresno and so exotic! Sadly, Nosey passed away in 1993 at the age of 47. How many of you a fond memories of Nosey?
Attachments
nosey.jpg

Sharlsie

Re: Nosey the elephant at Roeding Park

Post by Sharlsie » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Wow....I didn't realize she got to be so old! But yes, as a kid, I remember that was the fun part to go see Nosey. Actually she was the only animal I knew of that had a name there, but I'm sure there must have been others? Anyway, I remember where her well and even where she was in the zoo. Ah the memories! On a side note, one time when I was kid, we had gotten a tortoise from 29 Palms (where my grandmother lived out in the middle of the desert) and we donated it to the zoo. His name was Homer, so there were at least two animals at the zoo with names.

Big J

Post by Big J » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:30 pm

I may be the only one who will say this, but aside from the needs of the animals...I really miss the old zoo. The layout, when you'd enter off the main entrance road off Belmont, everything was just more charming. More fun. Again, obviously the animals needed larger areas, etc. And I miss the lions as well.

Sharlsie

Post by Sharlsie » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:23 pm

I agree with you Big J. Even though I don't live in Fresno anymore, my mom still does as does good friends from high school, so I go and visit a couple of times a year. To summers ago I brought both my grandkids with me and we went to the zoo and I wasn't crazy about the layout of it at all. They do need more room and I also thought the animals all looked so sad, especially the lone bear they have. And all in all I don't like what they've done with Roeding Park....maybe its just me but it looks smaller. Ah how I miss the old days.

technodelic

Post by technodelic » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:43 pm

Nosey was nice. We took our 2-year-old to Roading Park with my folks recently and I quite liked it. One of the elephants was taking a dump at the moment he first saw them. He loved it he talked about it for weeks! My folks used to take me there almost every weekend when I was a kid. They bought some kind of monthly or yearly pass so it was a cheap way to entertain me! I remember eating pink popcorn and rolling down the grassy hill near the old entrance (opposite the current entrance, and behind the concession stand). Good times! I actually like what they've done with the zoo. There are lots of things there that I still remember, and while lots of things have changed I think it's mostly for the better. The animals probably don't have more space than they used to but at least the spaces look nicer than the stark concrete I remember when I was a kid. There seems to be more shade now too.

Marvbin

Post by Marvbin » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:59 pm

Nosey was always our first stop into the zoo. Nosey was our favorite. Our family had all of their reunions at Roeding Park.
Attachments
nosey.jpg
Fresno Bee ad - May 16, 1963

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:07 am

This isn't one of Nosey but I didn't want to exclude the Monkey exhibit at the old Roeding Park Zoo. The water moat around the exhibit was always interesting to me. As a kid, I remember it smelled a bit. Photo dated 1963.
Attachments
monkeys.jpg
Click to Enlarge

JoshuaScott

Post by JoshuaScott » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:00 pm

When I was a kid back in the 80s Nosey was the main attraction for me!!! I’ve always been fascinated by elephants and being able to see nosey was very magical. The last time I saw her was in 1990 on her birthday and the zookeepers gave her a giant popsicle that had all sorts of fruits and veggies in it!!

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:56 pm

Nosey makes it on to the Prop Z measure "Save of Zoo" in 2004.
Attachments
Spirit of Nosey.jpg
Click to Enlarge