Pinedale Dump/Sugar Pine Lumber Co.

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
Perrynoia

Pinedale Dump/Sugar Pine Lumber Co.

Post by Perrynoia » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:11 am

Does anyone remember the old Pinedale Dump? It caused an environmental hazard and was closed down in the late 70's. It was at the end of Nees where Palm reaches now. I don't think that they totally eradicated the toxic waste in the soil, but they built right on top of it! It was in the N/W corner of the property once known as Calcot...before that Camp Pinedale...and before that, the Sugar Pine Lumber Company.

Re: Pinedale Dump/Sugar Pine Lumber Co.

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:24 pm

I remember going to the Pinedale Dump as a kid with my dad and brother. It was an adventure back then. Maple and Shields to Pinedale was a trip! LOL That whole area was CalCot Cotton and before that Sugar Pine Lumber...Some great history in that area!

Captain

Post by Captain » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:30 pm

The Kepley family owned the Pinedale Dump. Their son Jack was a good friend of mine.

FresnoBeach

Post by FresnoBeach » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:38 pm

is this the same as the Rice Road Dump (Woodward Lake) that was right near the river?
i remember going there as a kid in the 1970s to dump stuff with my dad.

i thought the toxic clean up of pinedale was from it being used by the military after it was used as a logging mill.
but looking at a history report it looks like there was never a dump in Pinedale. So I really think you are all confusing the Rice Road Dump near Woodward Lake as the Pinedale Dump since you would drive out past Pinedale to get to it.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (44.99 KiB) Viewed 14536 times

sjvalleydave

Post by sjvalleydave » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:02 pm

The Pinedale dump was at the end of Ingram, north of Herndon. It has ZERO to do with the Rice Road dump. In fact a lot of the buildings near Ingram and Nees are on old dump property. Went out there with my dad so many times I can't count. Rice Road came around years and years later...

Big J

Post by Big J » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:24 pm

Was this before Vendo was built or was it around after?

sjvalleydave

Post by sjvalleydave » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:57 pm

Vendo was there. My dad got one of his very first jobs at Vendo in mid 50's...He would talk about that when were going north on Ingram. They still had all the old huge covered quonset looking huts that Cal Cot later used. There are some great pics of Pinedale Lumber Company out there..

Richard Frey

Post by Richard Frey » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:52 pm

I remember the old Pinedale Dump. My Dad's business had a pickup truck and just about every year we would load it up with junk at our house that we no longer used and take it to the Pinedale Dump. As I remember the cost to dump was not much and fortunately, we never got a tire punctured from all of the debris on the road inside the dump. I was very sad to see it go as the dump south of town just west of Hwy 99 was a lot more expensive and restrictive. Then the Rice Road dump opened up and it was even more expensive. I am sure that the toxic spills in the old Pinedale Dump must be teriffic. But at that time, we did not think about polluting the land, how sad.

McLane 76er

Post by McLane 76er » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:23 pm

I had a boss in the planning department in the city tell me a story when he worked at a gas station as a teenager being asked to take a bunch of drums of used oil to the Pinedale dump. He said that he would dump them into a ravine west of the Ingram Avenue alighment. Years later when I was a young planner I went to the bluffs and witnessed the ground beneath the surface smoking from combustion of all the "garbage" dumped into what was once a ravine but was now filled. When the Palm-Nees area developed there was a crane that lifted a chunk of concrete the size of a VW beetle up and dropped it on to this area to compact the soil.

The Fresno Local Agency Formation Commission prepared a report on the Pinedale Public Utility District recently that included an extensive summary of Pinedale. Lots of stuff has been going on for about 100 years: the mill, the townsite, the assembly area, Camp Pinedale, and so forth. Find it at:

http://fresnolafco.org/documents/MSRs/F ... 132019.pdf.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 7.02.29 AM.png
Click to Enlarge
Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 7.03.17 AM.png
Click to Enlarge