Music Stores (Sherman Clay, Gospel, M-V, Hockett Cowan)

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
Scott-o-rama

Re: Music Stores (Sherman Clay, Gospel, M-V, Hockett Cowan)

Post by Scott-o-rama » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:27 pm

In the mid-'60s I was a budding adolescent guitar player and hung around Sherman Clay in Manchester Center quite a bit. I'd buy strings and picks there -- and play their cool electric guitars & amps as much as Mel, the manager, would tolerate. Wish I'd had the money to buy up some of the used Gibson Les Pauls and Pre-CBS Fender Strats & Teles they had for sale cheap. They sold records there too, and I bought my copy of The Beatles Sgt. Pepper album the first day they got it in -- in early June, 1967. I took that album home and played the grooves off of it, learning the chords and riffs from every song within about a week!
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Thu__Apr_22__1965_.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee, April 22, 1965

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:46 pm

Hockett Cowan sign on the Fulton Mall in 1969
Attachments
cowan.jpg
Click to Enlarge

whitmaso

Post by whitmaso » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:22 pm

My grandmother, Linda Privett played in a band based in Ethel Starr's shop, called the Starrliters. The family is doing some research and we're just looking for anything from that era we can find, pictures, stories or if we're lucky maybe some recordings. Thanks for anyone who can help.

GYM

Re: Music Stores (Sherman Clay, Gospel, M & V, Hocket Cowan)

Post by GYM » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:32 pm

Tom Takahashi was service manger at Gospel Music. Greg Youngman also worked in the service department. That's me!
Attachments
GospelKeyChain.jpg
Gospel Key Chain
GospelKeyChain.jpg (85.63 KiB) Viewed 12432 times

DougR

Post by DougR » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:49 pm

Starting from about 1956: my trap set, my mom’s alto sax and her autoharp came from M-V Music; my classical guitar came from Hockett Cowan; my dreadnaught guitar came from a music store at the SE corner of Fresno/Ashlan (across the street from where American Music Company is now -- anyone remember its name around 1963?).

charlyn

Post by charlyn » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:41 am

Kuettel Piano House on the corner of Olive Ave & Arthur St. (2 blks east of Fruit Ave)

Fred Rated

Post by Fred Rated » Wed May 25, 2022 9:36 pm

Charlie Daniels Music somewhere off of Blackstone. Took woodwind lessons there and they'd let me bang on all the synths I could never afford while I waited.