Music Stores (Sherman Clay, Gospel, M-V, Hockett Cowan)

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
oldschool

Music Stores (Sherman Clay, Gospel, M-V, Hockett Cowan)

Post by oldschool » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:04 pm

Here are some names of great Music Stores that are no longer around. Please add more or comment:

Kelton's Music Studio at Fresno and Ashland
M & V Music at First and McKinley
Bob Wilson's Sound Stage at Blackstone and Home
Gospel Music and Supply at Blackstone near Shields near Arthur's Toy Store
Hockett Cowan Music on Fulton before and after the Mall
Starr House of Music on Ventura near Cedar
Sherman Clay in Manchester Center
Guitar Shack next to Sherman Clay

Some of these streets may not be right. Good memories of these stores. The good old days when things were affordable. The big company stores are not even close. I remember when Sound Stage had bands playing on Sunday. Starr House of Music was owned by Ethel Starr. She was the biggest Fender Guitar dealer for many years on the west coast. She also played the USO shows over seas many times. At the Fresno Fair she would have her students playing to advertise for her store. She could play a Steel Guitar like you wouldn't believe! Kelton Music Studio also played at the fair too. I played when I took lessons from them. Man did I get stage fright.
Attachments
hockett.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee - April 9, 1970

Pat Fino Rose

Re: Music Stores (Sherman Clay, Gospel, M & V, Hocket Cowan)

Post by Pat Fino Rose » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:17 pm

Was Starr Music on the corner of Orange and Ventura? It was a music lesson business in the great old white house that sat on that corner. If it was not Starr does anyone remember the name?

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:24 pm

Thank you Pat. After just reading this, it was right on the corner of Orange and Ventura. It has been since 2006 when I was visiting Fresno. I didn't get a chance to go around that area. When you said "The Great Old White House", it was like I just went to the store. Thank you Pat, and feel free to add more stores and information.

Oldschool

tom

Post by tom » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:54 pm

Wasn't lightening records right on Orange and Ventura. used to buy 45s of new singles there for under a buck and they always has needles for the record player.

LEP

Post by LEP » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:24 pm

I used to go to MV music 1972-1976 for classical guitar lessons (from Tom, and Greg..can't remember their last names). Attached is an MV music sticker pic I put on my first guitar's case which was purchased at MV back then, I still have the same guitar/case :)
Attachments
mv music.jpg
Click to Enlarge

shifter mike

Post by shifter mike » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:50 am

I took lessons at Starr House of Music for several years and then taught guitar there for 6 years (1958 to 1969). Great place and Great Lady. Lightning Record Store ( Bob was the owner) was caddy corner to Starr across from Whities Pet Shop. There was a Foster's Freeze next to Starr to the west and a Spouse Reitz Store next to that which became Whities when Whities moved from down the street, they started at Ventura and ?, can't remember the street , but it was west of First street , the street than angled and Lafayette School was on. The Foster Freeze moved east next to Juvy and B of A moved in next to Starr.

Also M+V Music , owned by Mr. Miller and Mr. Valentino. Another great store on First and McKinley and what was called the Mayfair Shopping Center. The Mayfair District, which never caught on like the Tower District. M-V was known for their great sheet music department, run by Mr. Miller. The instrument side was run by Mr. Valentino. Guess that's enough for now. Would like to hear from any of the students or musicians that donned those places.

JFT

Post by JFT » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:31 pm

Is this Mike K.? If so, I know you. I took lessons at Starr House of Music during the mid-sixties. You nailed all those names perfectly. I remember the son of the Whities Pet Shop owners was quite a drummer. Looking forward to your response. Just checking to see if this is Mike Kelly? Please confirm. Thanks.

mjf

Post by mjf » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:25 am

We used to go to Hockett Cowan on Saturday to listen to records. I'd buy the records once in awhile, but didn't have a record player! It was cool to like jazz back then; I liked Undercurrent Blues.

TMH1957

Post by TMH1957 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:16 pm

I was a member of the Fresno High Marching Band (1974-1976) and I played precussion (Drums). Went to M.V. for drum heads, sticks and staff paper. Also, in 1973, my dad helped me buy my first drum set. Although I can no longer play, I still remember those carefree days of my youth in a place called "Old Fresno"!

galactustrilogy

Post by galactustrilogy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:02 pm

Photos from the 1971 McLane High yearbook advertisements. MV Music, Gospel, and Bob Bloyed.
Attachments
1971 McLane High Yearbook Ad-MV Music.jpg
1971 McLane High Yearbook Ad-Gospel Music.jpg
1971 McLane High Yearbook Ad- Bob Bloyed Music.jpg