Streetcars of Fresno

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
ca4niagrl@yahoo.com

Re: Streetcars of Fresno

Post by ca4niagrl@yahoo.com » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:36 pm

My great grandfather was a motorman for the Fresno Traction Company. I didn't even know him since he died in 1934 but I found his obituary online and that's how I found out what he did for a living and that there were streetcars in Fresno. I was born in Fresno in 1961 and I have some great memories but it sounds like Fresno was really thriving in its early days. Sad to see so much of its history gone.

Robert Gantt

Post by Robert Gantt » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:23 am

I worked in the old car barn on First and Tulare. Not on trolleys but at Hill and Morton Lumber Company. In the middle fifties Some of the tracks were still there. I thought at the time the structure should be designated a historical site.

shirleyken

Post by shirleyken » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:27 pm

I remember riding the streetcars many a time, first with my mother and then on my own. I got on board on Wishon Ave. which changed to Fulton Street, and that took me downtown. The fare was 7 cents which I dropped in a box next to the conductor.
The story goes that when the tracks were removed in the late 1930's, they were sold to Japan, which returned them in another form during WWII.