I loved Fig Garden Village

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
RBM

I loved Fig Garden Village

Post by RBM » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:19 am

I tripped into this site the other night and really enjoyed all you had to say. I want to add my thoughts on Fresno too, but for right now will give you just the stats of my Fresno life. I am a fourth generation Fresnan, I lived there from '57 (born) to '67. I lived in the Fig Garden area of town. I live in Sacramento now. I still have family there and try to get into Fresno every couple of three years or so. I really enjoy my visits there. Let's see, my family owned M.A. Meyer Moving & Storage, I went to Carol Baird elementary & Daley elementary for a short while.

My first love (in first grade) was Jody Perkins, (funny how you never forget the names huh?) & my best friend was Mark Green. I lived on N. Moroa Ave right across from a Catholic church. I LOVED Fig Garden Village and have some questions I hope someone out there might help me out with. Anyway, that's about it for now. I'll check back in and share some really cool memories and hope to get some back, along with all the incredible news and info from this site. Great site! You all take care & if you're living in Fresno right now, enjoy it!

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: I loved Fig Garden Village

Post by Lost Fresno » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:50 am

I loved Fig Garden Village too! What other shopping center said "old money" like this one did? And that includes shopping centers and strip malls of today as well. In the ad below called "The Villager" you are encouraged to come in your bathing suit if you prefer - no need to dress up!
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Tue__Jul_20__1965_.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee - July 20, 1965