Pictures of the Old Fresno Courthouse

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~

Pictures of the Old Fresno Courthouse

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:35 am

I found these on the internet and they brought back many memories. I was 12 when they tore it down but I can remember walking around Courthouse park and marveling at the structure, even as a young boy. It was crazy to tear it down but ethics regarding old buildings were much different then. Who remembers this great structure?
Attachments
fresno courthose.jpg
fresno courthose.jpg (225.38 KiB) Viewed 14523 times

Re: Pictures of the Old Fresno Courthouse

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:52 pm

Sadly this is all that is left. It's sitting in my backyard and I charge 25 cents to see it (mostly neighbor kids). Well, maybe in my dreams.
Attachments
courthouse dome.jpg

meechmom

Post by meechmom » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:16 pm

I remember my dad taking my brother and I to see the destrcution of the courthouse. What a sad day.

frodoboy

Post by frodoboy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:33 am

Frank Caglia ended up with the courthouse dome. I used to rent a building from him and when he realized who my grandfather was (Kaden signs who built the Warnor theater sign), we became friends. He took me to the old Sun Maid raisin plant under the freeway and showed me the old Cupola along with the old animatrons from the Fresno fair. Remember those?? He told me the story of being a little boy in Italy listening to the bell of his old church. For years he bought big bells trying to duplicate that childhood memory of that bell. I told him he may never find it because it was in an old church and that would make the bell sound different than just by itself. I have no idea where the dome is now since I haven't lived in Fresno for many years.

Big J

Post by Big J » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:04 am

The cupola (its actually the little dome on top of the dome) remains in one of the Caglia yards downtown. For the longest time it was visible in the yard of Leonard's Storage down near Broadway and 41, not sure if it's still there. I remember it being in the front of the Met Museum for years when it opened - 1985ish to several years after that. Was always fascinated by the thing, its gorgeous. Still is. Wish it were in a park somewhere. Of course then it'd just get tagged. It's likely safer where it's at.

ca4niagrl

Post by ca4niagrl » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:23 pm

What a beautiful building our courthouse was. So sad that they tore it down and built that God awful building that houses our court system now. That is the ugliest thing I've ever seen!

JOSEGUNN

Post by JOSEGUNN » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:51 am

I remember reading somewhere that the demolition experts boasted that the courthouse would be brough down in 2 hrs. It was deemed "unsafe" and an "earthquake risk" by building inspectors. The courthouse did not go down without a fight, however. It took 9 hours for the wrecker's ball to finally bring it down making many wonder if it was not as structually unsafe as inspectors thought.

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:42 am

A sad day it was. It feel down and went BOOM!
Attachments
fresno couthouse destroyed.jpg