1960's San Joaquin Bands Compilation Series

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
euene

1960's San Joaquin Bands Compilation Series

Post by euene » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:32 pm

Hello Everyone: I am posting this to ask for your assistance. I currently run a site that features the great rock bands (1960 - 1970) from Fresno and the surrounding communities. I am working with a record label from England to release a compilation series of songs from these groups. Visit http://www.thebrymers.com and click on San Joaquin Valley Bands. If you know of any Fresno or surrounding city bands during this time period have them contact me at: dicklee@thebrymers.com for more info. Below is a description of the compilation series:

"CALIFORNIA NUGGETS FROM THE SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY (1960 - 1970) COMPILATION SERIES”

“California Nuggets from the San Joaquin Valley (1960 - 1970) compilation Series covers the great rock bands from California’s Central Valley. This is the first attempt to compile the music of these rock groups which flourished in communities such as Fresno (a 1960’s musical hub in the center of the state with a population over 500,000) and its surrounding cities (Merced, Modesto, Delano, Lemoore, Hanford, Visalia, Tulare, and Bakersfield). All cities were located within two hours of Fresno. The valley bands performed at teen dances promoted by local disc jockeys and radio program directors from stations such as “KYNO” (Fresno), “KCOK” (Tulare), and “KAFY” (Bakersfield). Hot teen clubs such as (The Crimson Castle - Fresno), The Rainbow Ballroom (Fresno), The Marigold Ballroom (Fresno), The Tulare Memorial Auditorium (Tulare), The Lemoore Civic Auditorium (Lemoore), The Hanford Civil Auditorium (Hanford), and Bakersfield’s (Lake Ming) were visited by hundreds of teenagers every week-end to hear their favorite rock groups. The promoters would often book nationally known rock acts along with two or three valley bands to play on one venue. The cost of admission ran from $1.50 to $2.50.

In 1971, a Fresno disc jockey put together a compilation tape with many of these groups on it. It was a personal demo project and copies were never sold commercially. The tape was titled “The Sounds of the San Joaquin” and was distributed to other disc jockeys and Program Directors for airplay around the U.S.. The “Sounds of the San Joaquin” was completed one year (1971) before the first “Nuggets” album was ever released. The current compilation series is an extension of that first endeavor by a Fresno disc jockey to recognize a unique “sound” which was emerging from California’s central valley. A few of these bands (Jim Doval and the Gauchos, The Brymers, The Roadrunners, The Charades, and Jim Waller and the Deltas) received national recognition and airplay later on. Individual band members would also rise to national acclaim and would play in groups such as Journey, The Doobie Brothers, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Tower of Power, Cold Blood, The Beachboys, The Righteous Brothers, and The Jefferson Starship. Take a spin with the “Fuzz, Mod Rock, Psychedelic, Rhythm and Blues, Surf, Folk Rock, and Mercy Beat Sounds” of the “California Nuggets Compilation Series.” After listening to these songs you will wonder how many nationally known 60’s bands were influenced by these central California groups. As you listen to the grooves - remember the words of “Wolfman Jack” (1960’s disc jockey): “Hey Baby - Don’t Be L 7, Take Out Your Boogaloo, and Do the Jerk.”

captkirk

Re: 1960's San Joaquin Bands Compilation Series

Post by captkirk » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Glad to find this forum. I had several bands during that era including, The Postmen, Organized Confusion, The Light Switch, Memorial Rain leading up to Bloodworth. Bloodworth had basically 4 incarnations, all of which supported touring acts opening up at The Rainbow, Crimson Castle, and The Convention Center. The first group included Myron Gomes (The Ebonknights), Larry Young, Randy Koontz and myself. The second period Myron left the group and Danny Ramos took over on drums. Joe Aglio replaced Danny Ramos and that version of the band performed at The Fillmore West. The last phase of the band was a power trio when Larry Young left the band.

dicklee007

New FM Radio Show Features 1960's Valley Bands

Post by dicklee007 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:24 am

Hello:

A note to let all of you rock fans that I host a weekly FM radio show that features all the garage rock bands from the central valley from 1960 through 1970. Tune in every Saturday (12:00 noon) to KOOL FM 104.5 Hanford and listen to your favorite band. You can also go to "Google" and type KOOL FM 104.5 Hanford and hear the broadcast. I will be featuring 60's bands such as Jim Doval an The Gauchos, The Road Runners, Raiks Progress, The Brymers, Canterberry Fair, Jim Waller and the Deltas, The Charades, The Stepping Stones, Al Garcia and the Rhythm Kings, Hayward Lee and the Mauraders, The Sedate Sunshine Colony, The Cindermen, and many more.

Dick Lee
The Brymers
dicklee@thebrymers.com

Dick Lee

Re: 1960's San Joaquin Bands Compilation Series

Post by Dick Lee » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:37 pm

Need Assistance is Locating Captkirk:

I am attempting to locate Captkirk. My name is Dick lee and I host a weekly classic rock radio show in the valley. I would like to find out more information on the band "Bloodworth" and any other bands that Captkirk was in. If you read this - please contact me.

Dick Lee
dicklee@thebrymers.com

n. goldberg

Jim Doval and the Gauchos

Post by n. goldberg » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:12 pm

I am trying to reach Jim Sandoval (Jim Doval and the Gauchos) just to pass on a warm Hello and Aloha from Neil Goldberg, formerly of Modesto, friend/garment designer/follower. I last saw him in Honolulu. From higoldberg@frontier.com