My Top 10 List - Add Your Memory

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
Elizabird

Re: My Top 10 List - Add Your Memory

Post by Elizabird » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:20 pm

How about the Basque hotel down by the railroad station...long dinner tables with, in the winter, the stalwart sheep wranglers getting fed and warmed until it was lambing time. Super dinners family style, potato salad with tiny shrimp, flat bowls of soup with barley and carrot cubes and bits of lamb, steaks the size of your dinner plate...and eavesdropping on Basque chatter which was a code nobody could break. I felt like it was like visiting Oz with a gorgeous feast.

DBacker

Post by DBacker » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:28 pm

1. John Euless Ballpark - Fresno Giants baseball
2. DiCicco's - downtown by Dickey Playground and on Fountain Way
3. Evangelical Community Church - where I met both the Lord and my wife
4. my grandma's house - Elm and California (no longer there)
5. bike riding all over town, from the west side to FSU area, to Sanger
6. professional so-called wrestling, at the Memorial Auditorium and at the channel 47 studio on Shaw Ave.
7. big name concerts (my first concert was Ray Charles at Memorial Auditorium, around 1966); Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson at Selland Arena
8. second hand stores and used book stores (twostory converted house just north of Dickey Playground was the best - I think it burned down a long time ago)
9. Fong's Chinese, Tulare and Maple
10. KYNO - the soundtrack of my teenage years

Fleetcomm

Post by Fleetcomm » Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:05 pm

1. My big brother started selling stuff at Cherry Auction that gave him credit in one of his high school classes
2. I was one of the last students in 6th grade at Jackson Elementary before they tore down the old building. Mrs Orndoff was my 6th grade teacher
3. I had a Fresno Bee paper route for 59 months. 1967 to 1972. I think about it now as I collected the money and never worried about getting robbed. Roughly $125 to $150 in cash and $30 in checks. At today’s rate that would be $1000. I rode my bike and collected the money from my customers what has happened to society. I mowed lawns too.
4. Paper boys had to go to the district to fold our papers and do other stuff we had to do. I’d go to Foster Freeze on Ventura Blvd on the way to my route and grab a cheeseburger, chili dog and a medium coke for a total cost of $1.00. I had to bike about a mile to my route so I could chow down really fast. Lightning Records was a couple blocks out of my way but I usually didn’t go their while I was tossing papers. After my paper route I could hit A&W on Tulare & 8th street.
5. I went to Kings Canyon Junior High and Roosevelt High. I didn’t participate in any activities so in that way I was boring. I was lucky to graduate. Across the street from the high school was three blocks of business and stores. Tulare Cedar Market. There was another market on Tulare & Barton. Clardy’s on Cedar & Illinois which had a lot but was much smaller.. There were a lot of mom & pop grocery stores.
6. I like Lesterburgers on Tulare & Cedar. Coney Hot Dogs downtown somewhere. I listened to KMAKe 1340, KYNO 1300, KFIG FM. KHOT in Madeira. I loved rock and roll.
7. My parents moved to Platt Ave and 11th Street in 1962 just one block west of Roosevelt High and one thing I loved was when the marching band would practice on Platt Ave and Kerchoff just before the new school year started.
8. OMG did I love the Ice Cream trucks. The record in one day was 12 trucks. Smitty’s Ice Cream was the best. He was a nice older man in his red truck. He was pretty consistent. That was fun for me counting them. Helms Bakery went by sometimes with 5¢ glazed donut.
9. When we moved to Fresno in 1962 most of the neighbors were professionals and retired people. My parents bought the house from a doctor. Another doctor lived down the block. A lawyer, an architect and a lot of widowed men and women. Back then it was upper class but just 2 decades later it really went to hell. My mom sold out in 1982 after my dad passed. It was truly a beautiful neighborhood.
10. After high school I worked at Gottschalk’s Fashion Fair for over a years. I worked for Kmart on Blackstone again for just over a year. August 1975 I hit the road and worked for a record & tape distributor. I traveled 1500 miles a week serving Kmart Record departments in Central & Northern California. So at age 21 I hit the road and unfortunately I left a lot of wonderful people behind.

Fresno2SoCal

Post by Fresno2SoCal » Fri May 27, 2022 9:19 pm

Rollertown
Raquet Time
Fresno Falcons
FS Basketball at Selland
Ringling Brothers Circus

SJM77

Post by SJM77 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:50 pm

As an update to a previous memory post..
----Like many others I visited Harpain's Dairy often, especially after Foremost stopped home delivery. Later on, after Harpain's closed, mom would get her milk at Belmont Dairy and I'd get a surprise, meeting a girl I'd gone to high school with by happenstance there, she was working. What I didn't know all those years was her family owned the place, heh.
About a month ago I'd listed a box of new fluorescent tubes on Craigslist that didn't fit the shop fixtures and a lady answered the ad. I asked her to be sure about what they fit and she was insistent they were right and was headed that way so would stop by.

After we concluded business I asked what the tubes were for and she mentioned their dairy barn and we got to talking a bit about dairies and I mentioned the old dairy my mom and I would buy milk at out on Belmont. Well, there ya go, after 45 years I ran into the same girl I went to school with; the old Belmont Dairy was sold not long after her mother passed but she and her husband have one near Chowchilla.

Small world. She asked me if I ever went to reunions. I said nope and neither did she apparently. We were both part of the 'outsider' crowd at the private school. Even more oddly, after she left I went out to the road to the mailbox and there in the mail was an invitation to our class reunion. Can't make this stuff up. I was only in California to sell my ag property so wouldn't normally have even been there. Anyway, good memories, something I really value in this day and age.

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:35 am

Wild Blue Yonder
Tower Records
Daily Planet
Bulldog Stadium
Java House
Ripe Tomato
KKDJ Breakfast Club
Oly
Wahs Chinese Kitchen
Fashion Fair in its Glory
Farrell's
Orange Julius
Nicholas's
The Clams
Star Palace
Racquet Time
4 Walls West
Dogs Basketball at Selland
Sweeney era Dogs at Bulldog Stadium
Fresno Falcons
Fresno Giants
Fencing at FCC
Arthurs
Great Rock concerts at Selland
Vintage Days

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:16 pm

Tower Cafe
Chicken Pie Shop
Bob's Big Boy
Harlands
Tennis Lessons at Fig Garden Racquet Club
Skate Boarding all over Fresno
Blackstone Bowl
Summer programs at Zoo
Warners Theater
Piementos

Kurt Smith

Post by Kurt Smith » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:18 pm

1. Wonderland Pool Blackstone / Shaw n/e corner
2. Wildwood Swimming Pool ( private members only ) east side of 41 / north side of San Joaquin River
3. Winchells Donuts Belmont / San Pablo s/e corner
4. The Hiphugger Topless Bar - 1200 N Abby
5. Happy Steak Blackstone / Clinton s/w corner
6. The Mexico Cafe E street near Kern in Chinatown
7. The Wright Spot burger place east side West ave just north of Shields near current Mike's Pizzaria
8. Lakeside public pool just east of Bullard / Blackstone
9. The Hacienda Clinton / 99 n/w corner
10. Lesterburger Blackstone / Clinton s/e corner
11. Mars Drive Inn Palm / Belmont n/w corner
12. The Outpost Chestnut / Olive s/w corner
13. The Moon Glo Drive In Hughes / Dakota s/e corner
14. The Original Al's Cafe G street under the Tuolumne overpass
15. The Motel El Rancho Olive / Motel Drive n/w corner

Rockin Ross

Re: "Lost Fresno" My Top 10 List - Add Your Memory

Post by Rockin Ross » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:39 pm

Jesseejack wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:17 pm
1. Angelos drive in
2. Playing on the tank in the park
3. Cutting class to go to manchester mall
4. Skating tower district
5. Blackstone cruise
6. Bond fires at the figs
7. Rollin out to lost lake late at night
8. Woodward park
9. Sneaking into the bmx track on belmont to try and jump the jumps

Awesome being a teen back in the 80s fosho!
Belmont and Marks, that would be J&D BMX. But you didn't have to sneak in, it was free to 6 days a week and sign ups from 8:00 to 9:30 on Sunday to race.

perennial millennial

Post by perennial millennial » Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:36 pm

1) Manchester Mall
2) YMCA
3) Fresno Metropolitan Museum
4) Downtown Hofbrau
5) IRS on Butler
6) Acapulco!
7) Ringling Bros.
8) Ernie's Bakery
9) The old Sears building at Fulton Mall, where vendors would sell trinkets after it closed down
10)

I was born in 1990, but many of the items listed by others are familiar thanks to my parents (three generations deep). Someone mentioned J&C Records? My aunt and cousin worked at one until it closed down.