Tule Fog - People Don't Believe Me.

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
Scott Whitney

Tule Fog - People Don't Believe Me.

Post by Scott Whitney » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:16 pm

The local radio station said be careful driving because it was a foggy morning. I looked out the window and could see almost half a mile. Fog? Not hardly.

In Fresno I got off work at 10 PM and drove from the South end of town to Clovis. On foggy evenings I had to stick my head out the window to see the lines on the street. Many evenings you couldn't see the traffic lights, even though you knew where they were. (roll down the windows, turn off the ignition, listen for the absence of other cars and gun it)

One evening before leaving work we used a tape measure. We could only see 11 feet! Oddly if you looked up, you could see the stars. When I tell people here, they don't believe me.

True story: Shortly before we moved away there was a house fire on a very foggy evening. The house was a short distance back from a busy street. They didn't discover the burned out house until a day later when the fog cleared.

Olivap

Re: Tule Fog - People Don't Believe Me.

Post by Olivap » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:42 pm

At approximately 5:30 p.m. on a very foggy evening in Fresno in the late 1980’s, I received a call at work telling me to head to Valley Children’s Hospital on Shields (could have been Clinton, not sure) because our daughter had been taken to their ER after a fall. She eventually was fine but I will always remember not being able to find the hospital because the fog was so thick. We had to slow our speed to 15-20 mph in an effort to pick out a street sign through the fog at a time when all we wanted to do was speed up!