A Book about Fresno (and more)

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
shirleyken

A Book about Fresno (and more)

Post by shirleyken » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:15 am

Hi, Fresno friends, You've seen some of my comments and articles. I have truly enjoyed writing about my old home town where I was born and raised. Now, after lots of work, research and hot afternoons in the garage with old scrapbooks, I've just finished and published LIVING THROUGH HISTORY. The subtitle says it all: “A U.S.O. hostess from World War Two looks back on the Great Depression, WWII, and the post-war world.”

Fresno is prominently featured. The chapter on "Segregated Fresno" might come as a bit of a shock to some. LIVING THROUGH HISTORY is now available on Amazon, both in ebook and print form. I hope you’ll take a look at https://amzn.to/2RmlwPL

I spent a lot of time on this project, going through old scrapbooks and dredging up old memories. It’s not meant to be an autobiography, but I guarantee you’ll find out more about me than you EVER wanted to know.
Attachments
Living Through History.jpg
Buy it at Amazon.com

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: A Book about Fresno (and more)

Post by Lost Fresno » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:39 am

Hello members, I just bought my copy and can't wait to read it. If you haven't had a change to read Shirley's other posts here at Lost Fresno, I highly recommend it.

Theodore
Attachments
Amazon Book.jpeg
Shirley's Book at Amazon

scott-o-rama

Post by scott-o-rama » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:25 pm

Hey Shirley, I bought your new book through Amazon and just finished reading it -- enjoying every page! Not only do you tell really interesting stories, but your writing style flows easily, as well. You are of my parents' generation but you are nevertheless mostly quite modern and progressive in your perspectives on things. In short, I'm your biggest fan! Keep 'em coming!

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:59 am

Hello Lost Fresno members. It is with a heavy heart that I must share that on July 1, 2019, Shirley Kennedy emailed me to say that she was in hospice. She did not return my email and she has been absent from this forum for almost 3 weeks. She has contributed many wonderful posts here about growing up in Fresno as well as a very enjoyable book, which I recently read. I hope I am not over stepping by sharing this information but I believe Shirley would be OK with that. This was her last email to me:

I'm sorry I didn't back to you sooner but will explain. As you can see, I just announced the publication of my new book, Living Through History. Between you and me, I just made it. For the past month, I've been on Hospice Care. At least I'm not IN a hospice, just receiving wonderful care at home. I can see, though, that between C.O.P.D, and "severe calcification of my mitral valve," chances are I won't be around much longer. I'm not complaining, though, just grateful for nearly 92 wonderful years (well, mostly!)

Definitely not a complainer and a life well lived. A daughter of Fresno that we can all aspire to. So I say to you Shirley, we will all meet again in the sweet by and by and thank you from all of us. Not only for sharing such a interesting life through your words here and in your books, but also showing us how to live PROUDLY - through history.

Theodore Wilhelm
Lost Fresno Administrator
Attachments
shirley Kennedy.jpg
Click to Enlarge

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:43 pm

Dear members. Little did I know that the day I posted the message above, it was the day that Shirley passed away. I just found her obit on a Google search.

==================================================================================

SHIRLEY ANN KENNEDY On Thursday, July 18, 2019, Shirley Ann Kennedy passed away at home with her loving daughters, Dianne Hayes and Lindy by her side. Shirley was born 09/23/1927, in Fresno, CA, and graduated from Fresno H.S. in 1945. She was a U.S.O. hostess in WWII, married in 1946 and had her two children. After a divorce in 1963, she remarried in 1964 (to 1983), and resided in Calgary, Alberta, Canada where she obtained a B.S. degree in computer science from the UNIV of Calgary. After working many years, she decided to follow her dream and quit her computer job to become a writer. Over the years, she published novels with Ballantine, Signet, and more, and had just completed a 3-book contract with Kensington. For the past ten years, she has enjoyed living in Las Vegas with Dianne, and their adorable, but noisy cat, Riley. Shirley is survived by grandchildren Brent Hayes and Gina. She was a member of the Las Vegas Romance Writers of America. Private services will be held.

Scott-o-rama

Post by Scott-o-rama » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:28 pm

Aww, so sad. What a cool lady she was. May she rest in peace.