Back in time: children's Nutritional School

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
Ersauceda68

Back in time: children's Nutritional School

Postby Ersauceda68 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:43 pm

My mother has told me of stories when she grew up in west Fresno. My grandparents were migrant farm worker's who had traveled from Texas, Arizona and settling in Fresno in 1940. My mothers recalls her younger sister being sent away to a Childrens school located on W OLIVE or W BELMONT Ave in 1945 and my Mom and her older sister followed months later. She only recalls that Calif social services had said my aunt was to SKINNY and since grandparents couldnt afford alot (that was the perception of migrant workers) my aunt should be sent to this NUTRITIONAL SCHOOL for children where she will attend, live there, and grandparents or family could visit weekends

My mom and her sisters stayed at this NUTRITIONAL school for 5-7 years...(1945-1951). She has memories of horrible treatment influcted upon them, and remembers Ms. Blackwell as head teacher. I've have researched all over and cant locate any records on this school....Anyone hear if it or can help me?

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: Back in time: children's Nutritional School

Postby Lost Fresno » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:41 am

Thank you for posting about the Nutritional Home. My research turned up this 1944 article which states that the school was located on West Belmont Ave. I assume this is the school that your Mother spoke about. Migrant farm workers are an important part of Fresno's history. In fact, my wife's father originally started out that way and was promoted to running large farms in the time period you spoke of.

Although this Fresno Bee article does not offer a lot of information, it is my hope that other readers will see it and offer their memories. You should know that although you may not see replies to this posting for some time, it does not mean that it is not being read. Sometimes it take a long time for the right person to come along and share information about long forgotten parts of lost Fresno memories. So keep checking back.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Sun__Sep_17__1944_.jpg
Fresno Bee - Sept. 17, 1944 / Click to Enlarge

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: Back in time: children's Nutritional School

Postby Lost Fresno » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:55 am

Ok, one more lead for you. In this article about a benefit at the White Theater, it lists the superintendent of the Nutritional School as Margret T. Blackman. This may be the individual your Mom spoke of, not Ms. Blackwell. Hope this helps in your search.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Thu__Aug_21__1941_.jpg
Fresno Bee - Aug. 21, 1941 / Click to Enlarge

Return to “Various Fresno Topics - Lost But Not Forgotten”